Fill it up of course! So what am I up to this summer?
Well first of all, THIS BLOG. I’m falling in love with food blogging. I love cooking food for myself. I love making baked goods to give to others (after eating a few for myself, of course!) I love dabbling with photography. I love the challenge of trying to get onto foodgawker, and the excitement when my submission is accepted. I’ve even come to appreciate the rejections because they force me to improve for the next time around. Finally, I love being able to talk freely about my eating disorder after feeling so ashamed about it. Sure, I was only really sick for about 2 years, but that’s 1/10th of my short 20 year life! Also, those were 2 very significant years. I struggled, I hated myself, and I pushed away everyone around me. I grew so much throughout my eating disorder, and as weird as it sounds, I’m a better person because of my illness experience.
The other big project I have this summer is volunteering at a free clinic. I work in the syringe exchange program and also the pharmacy. I want to go into medicine, but I also have a passion for public health, so I love working with the people at the free clinic. Since my hometown is about a 2.5 hour drive from the free clinic, I’m staying with my brother (whom lives a lot closer) for the half of the week while I volunteer. I’m so grateful to my brother and his girlfriend for letting me stay at their place RENT FREE so I can have a great experience this summer. I made them dinner to express my gratitude.
This picture will obviously not be a foodgawker submission. When I’m at home, I get to use my sister’s fancy Nikon D7000 for my photography (shoutout to my sister: love you and thanks a million for letting me borrow your camera!). However, here at my brother’s I have to use my old compact digital camera. As you can see, the image is NOT clear. Oh well…
I got this recipe from the blog Oh She Glows (www.ohsheglows.com). It’s called 15 minuted creamy avocado pasta. I’m honestly not that huge of a fan of avocados, but Oh She Glows made it look so delicious. Also, she raved about how delicious it is. I wasn’t completely thrilled about the pasta. It was edible, but I won’t be making it again. If you love avocados, this dish might be perfect for you though!
15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta
via Oh She Glows who was inspired by myrecipe.org
Yield: Serves 2
- 1 medium sized ripe Avocado, pitted
- 1/2 lemon, juiced + lemon zest to garnish
- 2-3 garlic cloves, to taste
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- ~1/4 cup Fresh Basil,
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 servings/6 oz of your choice of pasta (I used whole wheat penne)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring several cups of water to a boil in a medium sized pot. Add in your pasta, reduce heat to medium, and cook as per directed.
2. Meanwhile, make the sauce by placing the garlic cloves, lemon juice, and olive oil into a food processor. Process until smooth. Now add in the pitted avocado, basil, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy.
3. When pasta is done cooking, drain and rinse in a strainer and place pasta into a large bowl. Pour on sauce and toss until fully combined. Garnish with lemon zest and black pepper. Serve immediately. Makes 2 servings.
Please note: This dish does not reheat well due to the avocado in the sauce. Please serve immediately.